Thursday 30 January 2014

It's wet but warm - Thanks be to God!


I have been here two whole weeks now and I have settled in very well, but I need to take myself in hand and remember that I am on sabbatical and am not supposed to be working every day of the week! I have been helping (!) Fr William revamp his weekly Pew sheet. The first version was printed today and will be in use for the first time this Sunday. It all takes a bit longer when I have to type African names – but now the first one is done it shouldn’t take so long to do in future. They are supposed to be finding someone that I can show how to do it, but as yet there are no takers.

For the last couple of years the Diocese has been trying to produce a website. The first attempt failed, and now a professional company are on the case. But promises have been broken, and patience is running out. However, things are on the move again and I have been drafted in to help +Steve and Ruth, because “these things are (my) bread and butter”. Well ….. I undoubtedly have more experience of websites than they do, but I am no expert. I can however write English much more easily than either of them.

Last Sunday I felt much more at ease at Jouberton, and really felt that I was presiding. It is odd not to be able to sing any of the hymns though. Even if I know the tune, I am concentrating so much on what is happening that the words forsake me. I spent the morning there yesterday talking to three of the leading Council members. Some of the pains of the past became evident and also some of the pains of the present. All I can do is a holding job, and pray for them all.

Tonight I have been out with Father William to visit Dr Luke, a parishioner, and his family. They remembered fondly the visit of the Westwoods when they were out here. The reason for our visit was to pray with the family on the eve of their daughter’s departure to Jo’burg to begin her medical training, and to bless her. She had prepared a lovely meal for us, sadly not Indian, as she was unsure whether we would like that.

The big thing of this week is that I have now got the parish car and can drive myself around. In this Diocese, if the priest is rich enough he buys his own car. If he isn’t and the parish can afford it, then they buy one, as is the case in Jouberton. If neither can afford it, then it’s Shanks’s Pony, the local taxi (minibus) or hitching. Philip Pooe, no relation to William, who works with the youth of the Diocese, travels everywhere by hitching lifts.

This Saturday there is a meeting for those to be ordained and their rectors, and, as there is a Deacon (Elias) at Jouberton, that means me. The Ordination is fast coming upon us and I must set some time aside to get everything ready. I was able to spend the morning with +Steve on Tuesday talking through parish matters. There is to be a Confirmation as part of his weekend in the parish at the beginning of March and things are rather different here and I needed to be sure I understood what I have to do.  We also talked about the Ordination Retreat. I have done quite a lot of preparation already but there is still a lot to do. There will be two new Deacons and 11 Deacons being priested.

So please pray for the people of Jouberton, that God’s healing, strengthening and peace-giving Spirit might descend on them, and that malicious tongues might be silenced. Pray too for those to be ordained. Give thanks for the rain last night and this morning, and again tonight – the land is desperate for it and without it the crops will not produce food for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment