Monday 20 January 2014

Arrived - in many ways!


It’s Monday and at last I have got access to the web for my computer. The journey out went very well and I arrived safely in Klerksdorp where I am being hosted by Fr William Pooe at St Peter’s Church House. He had only been here for a week when I arrived and was busy trying to get hot water into the house, I was quite happy to have a cold (cool!) shower, but he thought I was mad! His wife Maggie still works in their old parish and comes home at weekends. Hope, her daughter, is here in Klerksdorp and is very cheerful and helpful. The warden from Jouberton was at the parish house when I arrived – the other one has just resigned. So the parish is in a state of chaos at the moment, especially as she did various secretarial duties too. In the evening we had a 'Welcome' braai at the warden’s house.

Friday I went out to Jouberton to look around. I thought it had a population of around 90,000 – the warden thinks it might be nearer 400,000. So not a very big job then! The area is divided into 25 extensions, arranged in 15 Blocks covering a huge area. For each block there is someone whose responsibility it is to report to the priest the name of anyone who needs communion at home or a visit of any sort. Mention was made of the riots there in the 70’s, something I would like to hear more about. With such a vast area and poor public transport, a second church is planned, right opposite the police station. The land has already been purchased and the money for completion is in the bank. Various planning permissions are now being sought.

Sunday I did the 8.00 service there. As we came out I noted that the 8.00 service at St James' would also be finishing at that moment – only we had started two hours before they did!! I began the service by correcting some of the misconceptions about the length of my stay. Some thought I was  going to be here for a year!

It feels very different doing services on this visit, knowing that this is not ‘hit and run’, nor a long term appointment. Some things are the same: I was censed to within an inch of my life; servers want to do up buttons on my cassock alb; the singing was fantastic; my tongue got tied around some of the Setswana words. But I found it difficult to ‘preside’ when things were happening in a language that I don’t understand. For instance, I was suddenly aware in the notices that shoes were being handed out to some of the children. Every year Brenda, +Steve’s wife, oversees the collection of funds and the buying and distribution of shoes to needy children in the Sunday Schools. Had I known in time what was going on, we could have had a prayer of thanksgiving and blessing. It’s all a question of communication. There is so much that needs doing in the parish, but I need to be realistic about what I can accomplish, and not leave chaos behind me. Everyone seemed to be happy to have a priest and on the first Sunday at least, to be forgiving about the mistakes and differences.

Saturday morning I went into town – a 2 minute walk away - and met someone I knew, Philip who works with young people. Saturday afternoon Steve and Pulane with whom I stayed in 2012 came to the house to welcome me. Today – Monday – I went again, and standing in a queue behind me was Mpho, who stayed with me in Clayton in 2004! It all helps it feel a little less strange.

So we have begun well, and I am happy. Wednesday I am going out to Jouberton again to sort through the parish office and see what I can sort on their computer. I am also hoping that we can get a list of home communicants soon so that I can start on that. I fancy it will be rather long, but I look forward to meeting people in their homes.

+Steve returns at the end of the week, and then I am hoping that I shall be able to have a timetable for my stay here. In the meantime, thank you for your prayers. I hope to write on the blog at least once a week – pictures will follow when I’ve taken some and worked out how to post them!

3 comments:

  1. Well done!! Up and running - no stopping you now!
    It's good to be able to follow what you are doing so looking forward to future posts.
    Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know you're there and enjoying it - let them bless you as you are blessing them! And thanks for the birthday wishes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you got there safely and are getting into the swing of things.
    Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete