Thursday 23 January 2014

Home Communions Round 1


I realised after I’d posted the last blog that I hadn’t said who I am and what I am doing. I am (again) Nita Edwards from Clayton, this time on a 10 week Sabbatical (Extended Study Leave) here in Matlosane. I have been here several times before but I wanted to spend a longer time to here to get a more in depth view of the Diocese. 

Wednesday morning was a very interesting one. I went with Daniel the church warden and driver for the day, and Lay Ministers Ra (Mr) Moruti and Ma (Mrs) Nkulu to 2 of the 15 Blocks in Jouberton to do Home Communions. As much as possible of the service needed to be in Setswana so I had prepared a single sheet version of the service in Setswana for myself and practised the Collect. At each home – nine in all – Daniel introduced me, I started the prayers said by everyone, the Minister translated anything I had to say in English ie the introduction to the confession and the prayers, Daniel read the gospel verses and I managed everything else! We had quite a system going by the end. The people varied in age and state of health. One quite healthy lady will be 95 in July – what changes she must have seen in her life! Another old lady was so frail that she even had to be helped to consume the wafer. Two of the visits were to couples: and in other houses all the family who happened to be at home joined in the service, but didn’t take communion.

The homes varied greatly: some were very nicely furnished and kept: one was made from corrugated iron and very, very hot! Some had inside toilet facilities, others had an outside hut. But in each there was a very warm (!) welcome, and people seemed genuinely delighted that I had come and that they could receive the sacrament. So far, only priests are licensed to take the sacrament out, but I think that is about to change. What I saw of the Lay Minsters who came yesterday, they would be more than capable. It would ease the load of the priest, and mean that they could spend longer at each house because they would not have to do done all at once. I have another set to do next week, and maybe even more. I think it was this parish where it took a previous priest three days every month to complete the round.

I enjoyed it, but there is a frustration when you can’t talk to those you are visiting, and it all has to be done rather speedily to fit everyone in. Maybe if I could drive myself it would be better – but having found my way into the township, I may never find my way out again!!

Today, Thursday, I went into the Diocesan Office to give something to Ruth, +Steve’s PA, and the new Dean came in, with the purpose of asking Ruth how he could get hold of me to welcome me to the Diocese. That’s three people now that I have met unintentionally, but with great joy. It all adds to the sense of purpose that I felt yesterday as I pondered John 15:16 ‘You did not choose me , but I chose you and appointed you that you should go out and bear fruit, fruit that will last.’

I did take photos, but I am struggling with Windows 8. Nuff said, I think. I'll keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment