Thursday 13 February 2014

What a difference a day can make!


The weekend in Potch was wonderful. The Sunday morning at the Cathedral was very good – as far as worship homes away from home, this is my South Africa home. The new Dean has made his mark, and wants the Cathedral to look different from a parish church. So there are now six brass candlesticks adorning the high altar and some smaller one on the side altar. He has also decided to change the blessing the children get at the end of the Communion. Rather than lay hands on them two by two, they are splashed with holy water, as a reminder of their baptism. It is certainly quicker, but the looks on the children’s faces...!

Back home we had a braai in the evening. Tlotlo, Peter and Ritha’s son, is now nearly 18, and living away from home. However he turned up with some friends, and introduced one of the girls to me as his girlfriend. After they had gone, Peter told me how shocked he was when Tlotlo had said that. Ritha was equally surprised, especially as she hadn’t heard him say it. It seemed the most natural thing in the world to me, but Peter explained that when he was younger, he told everything to his oldest sister – even that he wanted to marry Ritha . and later that she was pregnant –and she had to tell his parents. That was the way it was done. I found myself doing some pastoral reassurance!

Because of the lateness of the braai - and the wine I had downed! – I stayed an extra night and drove back to Klerksdorp the next morning. About 10.00 I was working in the parish office, and answered the phone. It was Ruth from the Diocesan Office saying that the Bishop wanted me to move out of St Peter’s House before the end of the day. I went to the Office to talk to +Steve, and then went home to pack and move out. It was not an easy couple of hours!! However, I am now staying with Mpho, who stayed with me 10 years ago, and her husband Vusi, still in Klerksdorp. I am already much happier.


They are looking after their 2 year old niece, who has a nasty cough, and today we went in search of a doctor. We ended up at the oldest clinic in Jouberton, where Mpho’s mother is a nursing sister. There are 4 clinics altogether, but that still means each has a huge clientele. She said that the current training for nurses is all about theory, and the nurses graduate with all the qualifications but no idea about basic nursing practices. She is now 72 and very much needed in the clinic, which is open 24 hour a day. However she does not work nights. She was upset because yesterday she had to deal with a toddler who had pulled a kettle of boiling water over herself. She was taken to the local hospital in Jouberton, but will probably have to go to the burns unit in Jo’berg. Transfer is by ambulance, unless it’s urgent, in which case it’s by government funded helicopter. While we were in Jouberton we visited Mpho’s elderly relative – just 99 years young! About a year ago she broke her femur and her leg is still in plaster, as her bones were too frail to put in pins. She is very deaf, and we eventually got her to understand that I am a priest, but didn’t even begin to try to get her to understand that I don’t speak Afrikaans! I have promised to take her communion tomorrow, on my weekly Home Communion round.
Thursday - this has taken a couple of days to post as there have been internet connection problems. I did the Home Communion round yesterday and am now about halfway through the total list! The 99 year old had been given a sleeping tablet, but insisted on having Communion. Thank goodness the Lord's Prayer says it all! Later I went into town and at last met up with Brenda and handed over some more jumpers - thanks St James'. Today I am at home getting everything ready for the Retreat and the Sunday (day!!) after the Ordination. The Ordination itself will be at 12noon on the 22nd. Pray for the 2 to be made Deacon and the !1 to be priested. Pray too for the one Deacon who will not be ordained priest this time, due to personal matters.
 
I have more photos which I will post now on a separate blog. I'll try to post again soon, but next week I have 14 talks, 13 personal interviews and 4 daily services to deliver and then the Ordination sermon, plus all that I will need for Sunday 23rd, when there will also be baptisms in the main service. So I shan't be short of something to do!! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed last weekend.
    The Dean sounds like he is someone with similar ideas etc. to you in some respects. Splashing water sounds a familiar happening!!

    Another busy week it seems but as always many new experiences and chances to appreciate so many things we all take for granted here!
    Hope all goes well as the Retreat and Ordinations get ever closer.
    Will be thinking of you!!
    Take care xx J&R

    ReplyDelete