Saturday 8 February 2014

Salt, Light and Incarnation


It’s Saturday evening and I have had a wonderful day with my friends Peter and Ritha Menyatso. I drove myself to Potchefstroom yesterday. Finding the Mall was OK, but finding their house was a bit more difficult. I had my map, but some of the street names in the centre of town have changed to reflect an African society rather than an Afrikaaner one. Difficult when you are lost!! Still I got here in the end.  Today we have had a lazy day and I have taught Ritha to swim. She is delighted. Even better, the sun has returned. Tomorrow it’s the Cathedral.

Home Communions in Jouberton this week had their moments. We went to an area a long way from the church – too far to walk, and too expensive to travel on the taxi / minibus. I did 10 this week, and that is still only 4 of the 15 areas done. No wonder + Steve says that sometimes a priest has to devote a whole week to doing them. I am not the most patient of drivers if the person directing me is unsure of where to go. My patience was tested!! To my English way of thinking there was not a lot of system to the numbering – we gave upon one house! But everyone was delighted to see us, even though they didn’t know we were coming. In almost every house the first thing that happened was that people produced their money for the church. After the first one, I insisted that we do the Communion first and then deal with money: “Jesus first: then the money” became my constant cry. One old lady said, “But I don’t want to die and not be fully paid up”! One house we went in was dark and very smelly: I was glad to get out. But it occurred to me that the person we visited couldn’t get away. Jesus laid aside his majesty and took human flesh for us, and I couldn’t get away fast enough because of the smell. I came away chastened.

I am now just about sorted for the Retreat – so thanks for all your prayers for that. Every day living has had its challenges – and none of my usual ‘comforters’ are readily available. That has made this visit so good – a chance to relax and unwind.

Tomorrow’s gospel bids us not to hide our light under a bushel and not to lose our saltiness. I’m trying!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have enjoyed yourself today - sun as well!!
    More wind and rain here, though thankfully we've been very lucky compared to so many other places.
    The home communions do sound to be a rather large task!! - but interesting and rewarding I imagine.
    Good to hear you have things ready for the Retreat and hope everything goes well in the Cathedral tomorrow - I'm sure your light will continue to shine and that you still have some salt to share too!!

    Love J & R xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all went well at Cathedral. Thought of you today as we did prayers at an all age service in Codsall which involved placing night lights on a large shower curtain of the world and asking children to throw salt all over the world. Seems such an amazing variety of experiences you are having. Hope Retreat goes well. Blessings

    ReplyDelete