Monday 24 February 2014

2 new Deacons and 12 new Priests later ...

The retreat ended well, and the ordinands enjoyed the amount of time that they have had to think and ponder over the pictures of the gospel stories that I printed out for them. Some of them had never seen Jesus depicted as an African before and they really appreciated that. The half hour interview that I had with each of them, when they were able to talk about hurts and fears as well as joys and sorrows, were very valuable. Some are facing huge problems. One deacon-to-be, a single man, .is going to be living miles away from his Rector, in an area where he knows nobody. We talked for a while about how he is going to get support, in an area where internet access is difficult.
After supper on the last night we had a Penitential Service – a form of Confession. I led them through a self examination – the sense of sin here is poor. A senior priest told me a couple of weeks ago that he didn’t think that teenage Confirmation candidates had any sins to confess! They seem to think that sins must be big things – and were surprised that ‘small things’ are just as much sin as murder and theft! After they said the words of the Confession together I went to each in turn and pronounced the absolution signing them on the forehead with the cross. It was very moving, and a couple ended up in tears.  We then broke the silence, and spent over an hour just chatting to each other. It was a brilliant way to end the week. 
 Elias - Jouberton's Deacon -
taking the Oaths on Friday,
witnessed by the Dean.
Friday morning it was off to the Cathedral in Potch for the rehearsal and the Swearing of Oaths, a mere 4 hour exercise! Then for me a dash back to Jouberton to talk to the Confirmation candidates, before returning to Potch for the night. I went to bed tired, and not a little concerned that I still didn’t have a sermon for the Ordination. I was awake at 04.30, but to no avail. With the service beginning at 12 noon, I was beginning to be a little concerned – if not panicky! At 09.30, I remembered that some time ago a child asked me if being a priest is the best way to be a Christian. By 09.45 the sermon was written – thanks be to God!!!
New Deacons, Isaac and Magda
During the service I sat next to Fr Jacques Pieterse, the only white priest in the Diocese, who is at St Mary’s, Potch. Next year the number will be doubled when his Deacon is priested. +Steve does nothing quickly; add that to the difficulty of stopping Africans singing, large numbers of family coming forward to help vest each new Deacon/Priest – and then get back to their places – and it is not surprising that the service finished four and a half hours after it had begun!! It was a wonderful occasion – they were all mine in a very special way. Near the end of the service, one of them made a speech of thanks, and I was presented with a card, a wooden heart and a gift of money. On the heart were the words: “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only a few will leave footprints … (we) love your footprints”. Paper hanky to the fore! After the service all the new priests were giving blessings and I think I managed to get to all of them. I had to remind one that he didn’t have to use the Grace any more, he could do blessings!
Sunday morning it was back to Jouberton and Elias’ first Eucharist. He did much better than I dared hope, and the two big mistakes were my fault, not his. One was a language problem: the other a lack of concentration. I had to baptise 5 people ready for the confirmation next Sunday, and I forgot to bless the water. As I always say “God can cope: it’s only us who can’t! The queue of people waiting for his blessing after the service was endless. He must have been shattered last night.
So today – Monday – I’ve had a restful day, before I throw myself into the final preparations for the Confirmation of 50+ candidates next Sunday!! But more of that at a later date.
For now, thank you for all your prayers for all of us, and especially for me. They were answered in abundance - grace was poured out like the rain that has come down today! Pray now that the newly ordained may be faithful ministers of Christ, and be given grace to withstand the temptations that they will face. Pray too for those to be confirmed this Sunday, that they may live their lives with “a passion for Jesus” that echoes David Beckham’s passion for football.

1 comment:

  1. So glad it all went so well for you all.
    Look forward to seeing their gift - it must have been quite something to receive such a thank- you with such thought behind it.
    May God be with each one of them as they start their new roles in their parishes.

    Hope you have a good week with whatever it may bring - along with the Confirmation preparations!

    Take care, J and R xx


    ReplyDelete