Saturday 15 March 2014

Some real 'me' time

My four days at Bona Bona were all I’d hoped for, and then some. My accommodation was in the honeymoon suite (!), which meant I had a 4 poster bed, a huge bath and a double shower and a TV. The roof was the traditional thatch, and you could smell it in the room. There were notices warning against snakes and monkeys. One night I was watching Andy Murray playing tennis in America, to the accompaniment of lions roaring in the enclosures outside. Surreal!! I felt as if I was living in Leopard’s Den on the TV – ‘Out of Africa’ on ITV I think.
The weather was not particularly good, but I could sit under cover and watch the storm rolling in, listen to the thunder, and later see the rainbow trying to form. But there were dry periods and I could see bok coming to the waterhole. On the early morning game drive we didn’t see much, but just as we were returning home we come across some giraffe. There was time to rejoice in the little things of nature – the brilliant green dung beetle, the bright red and orange bird outside my room, the bird battering a caterpillar to death before eating it. All in all it was a time to reconnect to the creation and the Creator, and enjoy being in the great outdoors. I also had an enforced fast from my phone as I forgot to top up the airtime before I left Klerksdorp, and the nearest place to Bona Bona was 35 km away!
 
I drove to Delareyville on Friday, and am getting a much clearer feel for the rural nature of the Diocese. As the NW Province number plate shows the main crops here are mielies (sweet corn) and cornflowers (for oil). The latter are in full bloom at the moment and a wonderful sight, especially on a sunny day. I spent a bit of time with Dr Marshall Guma, who is known by nearly everyone in the town it seems, though he doesn’t actually live here. He took me to the Education Office and introduced me to a lot of his colleagues, among whom were the social worker who supports the teachers in their work, and the nutritionist in charge of overseeing the feeding programme in the schools.
Saturday afternoon I met with the clergy of the team here – or those who turned up! – and looked at team building. We talked about praying for the parish and for each other, and what they found good and difficult about being in the team here. It was a shame that three of the team didn’t come – lack of commitment was one of the things mentioned! – because those who did come were open and it was a helpful exercise. Those of you who came out to do the Sunday School Training in 2012 will recognise the exercise!!
Plans for Sunday are on hold till we see what the weather is tomorrow. One of the priests who wasn’t there today was stranded at home because of the muddy conditions caused by the rain.
 
The internet reception here is very slow, so photos wilAl have to wait till I get back to Klerksdorp.
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the 'me' time was worth having!
    Excellent accommodation - and more great experiences too!
    Hope the next couple of days continue well and safe return to 'home'.
    xxx J and R

    ReplyDelete