Monday 31 March 2014

Time to sign off.



It’s Monday: it’s the 31st: and ten and a half weeks have disappeared under my feet. I’m sitting at the airport –and very thankful to be here. +Steve’s car broke down at a busy crossroads on the way here, about 18 kms from Soweto. Fortunately his nephews lived nearby and they were able to come and rescue us. One stayed with the car till the rescue people arrive and the other drove us here. Steve was just in time to catch his plane. Pray for him this week as he is sitting on a Provincial Disciplinary Panel dealing with a Bishop who has been less than honest in financial affairs.
My final weekend here has been busy, humbling and one of rejoicing for the last three months. Saturday was the swearing in and training of the church wardens and their alternates. Every parish and chapelry in the Diocese has two Wardens and one Alternate who takes over if one cannot continue in office. Some had a three hour drive to get to the Cathedral for the Eucharist that started at 09.00. Needless to say, many were late! The service finished at 11.00 and then the Wardens were sworn in: so it was 12noon before we had breakfast. The training followed, and apparently finished at 15.00, by which time it was lunch time! Some then had a three hour drive home. After breakfast, having said a few words about the Lichfield link, I left.
Concentration Camp Memorial
Speaks for itself!
I drove back to Klerksdorp and went in search of the ‘Old Cemetery’. Here there is a grave yard for the Blacks, one for the Whites; an Anglo-Boer War British Military section; a Memorial to the 39,000 – many of whom were children - who died in the British Concentration camp here; and the reburied remains of some Voortrekkers. A lot of history in one place!
Sunday dawned bright and sunny. The people of Jouberton gave me a right royal send off. At the end of the service they gave me a present – an African dress and head scarf – and the MU wanted to give me a gift and asked the congregation to join them. “We don’t have silver and gold”, said the MU Leader, “but here is a gift to buy a cold drink.” Their gift was R500 and the congregation gave another R420 - a total of about £55! Some cold drink. I felt guilty and humbled all at the same time. They have so little and I have so much – but they needed to show their gratitude and I needed to accept it. I’m going to try to off load the coins on the traders at the airport today. After the service there was lunch with the Church Council.
Back home I began work on what was going to have to be a miracle of packing. I squashed and squeezed and eventually got everything in. According to the scales here at the airport I am bringing less home than I brought out. Not possible! – but at least they say I am just under the weight limit rather than very much over it!
Vusi and Renelwe
Mpho and her niece, Renelwe
For the last 8 weeks I've been staying with Mpho and Vusi Moyakhe. They are looking after Renelwe, Mpho's brother's daughter. They gave me a home when I needed one.
 Thanks to all of you .
 
I came out 10 weeks ago knowing this was going to be different from any other visit, but not prepared for how different it would be. I’m not just coming back to the UK and home – I feel as if I am changing jobs. I have worked for the parish, doing Sunday and Ash Wednesday services, Home Communions, seeing a new priest begin his ministry, and sorting the Confirmation for 55 candidates. I have worked for the Diocese, helping Ruth format their new website, updating the Diocesan Directory, leading the Ordination Retreat and preaching at the service itself, and travelling around meeting people and encouraging them in their ministries. Not bad for a sabbatical! But I have loved the challenge and the adventure. Thank you to everyone in Lichfield and in Matlosane who have made this possible and supported me with your emails, comments, texts and prayers – and above all, thanks be to God for his protection and providential care.


1 comment:

  1. An amazing time and a wonderful experience both for you and those you have shared it with you.
    A big thank you to all who have supported and helped you!!

    May the seeds sown prove fruitful!!

    Now you will be half way home so hope the rest of the journey will be smooth.
    J and R

    ReplyDelete