Thursday 8 October 2015

One momentous weekend later


Thursday 8th October


As predicted things didn’t turn out quite as expected last weekend! I neither chopped vegetables nor went to the welcome meal for ++Thabo. But Saturday during the day was very quiet, with plenty of time to catch up on the rugby. In the evening it was the Gala Dinner, which was well attended, and the food plentiful. But here the speeches come before the food, and it was gone 21.30 by the time we got food. However there had been some fascinating Tswana tribal dancing: being traditional dances for a wedding there were some very suggestive moves!! In his speech, ++Thabo reminded us of the Mission Statement of ACSA (African Church of Southern Africa) and its summary of ACT – Anchored in Christ; Committed to Discipleship and Transformed by the Holy Spirit.

Sunday I went to the Cathedral. The clergy robed in a school just up the road and were part of the procession which included the Men’s Fellowship and Evangelists; the Youth Fellowship; the Lay Ministers; servers; clergy; +Steve and of course ++Thabo.

 


 

The people were so pleased to have ++Thabo among them and it showed in the vibrancy, joy and volume of the singing and dancing. 

One of the highlights for me was the 3 little boys who were dancing away merrily in the chancel. The liturgy obviously spoke to the Archbishop as he put aside his prepared sermon and spoke from the heart. He reminded us that within each of us a war is being waged between a way that leads to sin and a way which leads to righteousness. The choice as to which wins is ours.  At the Peace, the archbishop announced that it was +Steve and Brenda’s 18th Wedding anniversary, and that he was going to lead them in the Renewal of their Vows. It was very moving not least for them as they had had no warning of his intentions. A good bridegroom always has a hankie ready, and +Steve was no exception.



I have to confess to a fit of the giggles at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer – the most sacred part of the service - as the final Great Amen was sung with great gusto to the tune of ‘On Ilkley Moor ba’ tat’! Service over – some 3+ hours after the start – there was food for everyone.

Archbishop or not, the food was prepared in the traditional way - a very hard way!
 
Sunday evening I decided to cook apple crumble – thereby managing to trip the main switch, leaving myself in total darkness. Peter and Ritha were out, and whilst talking on the phone to Peter and trying to find my way around in the dark my air time ran out!! Eventually I managed to find the master switch and light was restored. We did eventually eat apple crumble and custard at 23.30!!

Monday I transferred to the Bishop’s House in Klerksdorp where I will remain till I come home. I am also now independently mobile, having picked up my hire car. Tuesday I handed over the £1,000.00 that St James’, Clayton raised during Lent for the Matlosane Diocese Shoe Appeal, and did various things in the Office.

Wednesday 17th October was Desmond Tutu’s 84th birthday, and the Dr Kenneth Kaunda District Municipality, which includes Potch and Klerksdorp, organised an event for about 150 young people from three townships who are studying tourism. The Programme Director stated at the beginning that the purpose of the day was to learn about a life well lived; give honour to someone who had lived such a life and to continue to learn from that life well lived. They had asked the Bishop to give the keynote address but he had asked the Revd Dr Guma to do it on his behalf. He reminded the students of ++Desmond’s very humble beginnings here in Klerksdorp and Jouberton, and his determination never to believe what others said about him; but to be himself the master of his fate and captain of his soul. He also urged them to value Ubuntu. The event has great potential, but it was very badly organised and the mayor spoke for over an hour – or should I say ranted. Some of what she said was very unjust and the Bishop had a long conversation with her over lunch. We eventually got back to the Office just after three, and it closes at 4!

Over supper I asked +Steve and Brenda what exactly Ubuntu is, to which they replied “I am because you are, and you are because I am”. We agreed eventually that it is seeing Christ in every human being, including ourselves.

Today +Steve flew off to a meeting in Cape Town, the children are with their grandmother in Kuruman, Brenda has had a very difficult day at work and I explored the Mall with Mpho, with whom I stayed last year.  Tomorrow I have a meeting in Potch with a clergy person who has asked to talk with me following the retreat; Saturday Wales play Australia (got to get my priorities right!) and Brenda has a meeting for clergy wives. Sunday I return to Jouberton, where I was based last year, to do the Sunday service, and the children arrive home.

It’s hard to believe that 2 weeks ago tonight I was on my way here. But for what has already been, thanks be to God: for what is yet to come, bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. A very busy first half of your stay!
    Need to re-read to take it all in!
    Great to see the photos too.
    I'm sure the next two weeks will be just as full and judt as interesting!
    Enjoy the match on Saturday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting match next Saturday then!
    You might be better watching it by yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete