Saturday 4 February 2012

Moving to Matlosane… Richard Westwood 4 Feb 2012


After spending about a week in Mpumalanga South Africa…  with Hands @Work in Africa and visits to Mercy Air in White River, it was time to move to Matlosane.

I travelled by “Citibug” (a mini bus coach with trailer for luggage).  This involved a 4.40am rise to get the 6am Citibug, leaving Nelspruit for Klerksdorp (about 300 miles west).  Rose, Andrew and Sam (my wife and two my children) braved the early start to see me off and will stay at Mercy Air in White River before coming to join me in 10 days time.

The journey was fascinating… and I had some wonderful conversations with my fellow travellers, most of whom were getting off at Johannesburg Airport.

I discovered a lot of new insights into the chequered history of the British in Africa, in particular the Boar war… they say that history is written by the victor.  Certainly there is much for us (Brits) to be ashamed of in our actions in years gone by.  But none of this information from my fellow travellers, (who were mostly white) was said with any malice, but with a keenness for honesty. 

I was glad to be met in Kerksdorp just after noon by Bishop Steve Diseko, the Bishop of Matlosane.  He and his family (wife Brenda, daughters Letlotlo & Nata and son Leruo) could not have made me more welcome.

We talked about many things as we travelled to pick up his children from school and his wise and thoughtful approach to life in South Africa helped me to see that there is much for me to learn about this complex and diverse nation.

We enjoyed at family barbeque (“Braii”) in the evening, after collecting meat from what seemed to me to be the largest butcher’s shop in the world… no less than 13 people behind the counter serving.  Bishop Steve, in an understated manner, said, “South African’s like their meat!” I had to agree with him, but was still in a kind of shock at the scale of things.

Needless to say the food was excellent, and I was glad of the cool drinks, as the temperature at been around 34oC earlier in the day. 

Today (Saturday) has been spent so far, preparing a sermon for a service tomorrow….  “Nothing new there!”  as you are a Church of England Minister you might think.

True, but Bishop Steve has also asked (challenged?) me to lead some of the service in Tswana, the local language spoken by most people here.

So I have been wrestling with some Tswana phrases and pronunciation.  And I had optimistically thought that using “Hello” (Dumela) and “Goodbye” (Sala Sentle) would be a good start!  But Bishop Steve and Brenda have agreed to help me by checking my pronunciation.  I’ll let you know how it goes!  But please pray for the Church where I will be going tomorrow, (All Saints Khuma) that they will be able to worship well, whatever the minister does!


God Bless


Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment